[Buddha-l] Extraterrestrial

John Chamberlin jchamberl at cox.net
Sat Apr 29 10:01:43 MDT 2006

What would be the immediate and long-term effects on the world’s
great religions if extraterrestrial life were discovered?

“Extraterrestrial” meaning a life form intelligent or otherwise that
is proven to be entirely independent of life on Earth, and not just a
continuation of terrestrial life as a result of a meteor impact with
microbes flying into the void from Earth and seeding terrestrial life
on another planet.

Since this is a Buddhist discussion group, would there be a challenge
to the general Buddhist dogmas of “No Self” and “Emptiness”? I would
think the more Solipsistic Buddhist sects, if you all will allow me
to use a Western term, such as Yogocara might find a challenge here?
Or, would little green men simply have the same general
characteristics as earth-bound phenomena?

In Christianity, the general belief in Incarnation might find some
problems? The idea of the “Son Of God” taking on multitudes of alien
flesh might shake a few trees, not to mention the fact that such a
discovery would make the Copernican Revolution look like a cherry
bomb in a mailbox!

I’m currently outlining a screenplay of just such a discovery and its
socio-religious effects. I would appreciate any references if anybody
knows of any publications on this topic. I also thought it might make
for an interesting discussion?

Jack Chamberlin