[Buddha-l] Bertrand Russell

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Aug 10 11:52:27 MDT 2006

On Thursday 10 August 2006 03:38, Ngawang Dorje wrote:

>   On page 19, I found this instead:
>
>   I think I should put Buddha and Socrates above Him in those
> respects.

A quick look through the index of "Why I am a naughty Christian"
showed several references to the Buddha and to Buddhism, but my
edition (Unwin 1967) does not seem to have the passage you
originally cited. I'll look more carefully when time permits. (I
can't help wondering whether this is another one of those many
spurious quotations concocted by some zealous modern Buddhists to
make it sound as though Einstein was enamored of Buddhism or as
though Mi la ras pa predicted Chogyam Trungpa's meeting with the
Hopi elders in the age when iron eagles embossed with mogen davids
shit napalm on Beirut.)

One of my favorite Russell compositions is his imaginary dialogue
between Nietzsche and the Buddha in "A History of Western
Philosophy" (pp. 771-773)

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy