[Buddha-l] Hayes on Duerlinger on Vasubandu (from our "small world" department)

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Aug 14 08:44:55 MDT 2006

I was hunting around for a good contemporary translation of Plato's
"Sophist" when I came upon James Duerlinger's translation of this dialog
- accompanied by a "detailed account of its theses and arguments" by the
translator. Then I went hunting to find out more about this Duerlinger
fellow and I discovered that he is primarily known for his work on
Indian philosophy, and has a book on Vasubandhu ("Indian Buddhist
Theories of Person"). I then naturally thought of posting a query on
Buddha-L of the form "does anyone have an opinion about this guy"? But
first I did a quick search and found that none other than Richard Hayes
himself has already given Duerlinger a thumbs up:

"Someone whose work on various Buddhist views on non-self that I admire
is James Duerlinger, who has several good pieces in Journal of Indian
Philosophy. His approach is more philosophical than historical or
philological. If philosophy is your cup of tea, give him a try, if you
haven't already."

And just to provide further evidence that the universe is not a
completely evil place, I managed to find an affordable copy of said book
on Vasubandhu, which has a list price of $135!!!!!

- Curt