[Buddha-l] Vague Buddhism

Bernie Simon bsimon at toad.net
Tue Aug 15 19:06:58 MDT 2006

A weblog post on "Vague Buddhism," the new religion of Unitarian
Universalism.

"Suffice it to say that Buddhism is a major source for contemporary UU
sermons, meditation manuals, and adult RE activities. It also shows up
in our Sunday School materials. Most often, it is Thich Nhat Hanh
(originally from Vietnam, but living in France for many decades at this
point) or the Dalai Lama who are referenced, or some (often uncredited)
'Zen master' from ancient or modern China, Japan, or even the USA.
These are the Buddhist thinkers/traditions that are most assimilated to
upper-middle class American culture, so it's no real surprise their
adapted versions of Buddhism appear in our pulpits etc most often."

http://peacebang.blogspot.com/2006/08/jeff-wilson-on-vague-
buddhism.html

----
The blind fool,