[Buddha-l] Footwear

Ngawang Dorje rahula_80 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 03:59:11 MDT 2006

Hi,

  Stuart wrote:
  > Is non-leather footwear mentioned at all?<

  The Buddha only allowed leather footwear. Non-leather footwear is prohibited. According to Bhikkhu Thanissaro, rubber is classified under leather.

  "I allow single-layered leather footwear. Double-layered leather footwear should not be worn. Triple-layered leather footwear should not be worn. Multi-layered leather footwear should not be worn. Whoever should wear it: an offense of wrong doing." — Mv.V.1.30

  "I allow in all outlying districts multi-layered leather footwear." — Mv.V.13.13

  "Wooden footwear should not be worn. Whoever should wear it: an offense of wrong doing." — Mv.V.6.4

  "Woven palmyra-leaf footwear should not be worn. Whoever should wear it: an offense of wrong doing." — Mv.V.7.2

  "Woven bamboo footwear should not be worn. Whoever should wear it: an offense of wrong doing." — Mv.V.7.3

  "Footwear woven of grass should not be worn. Footwear woven of muñja grass ... woven of reeds ... woven of marshy date-palm ... woven of kamala-grass ... knitted from wool ... decorated with gold ... decorated with silver ... decorated with gems ... decorated with lapis lazuli ... decorated with crystal ... decorated with bronze ... decorated with glass (mirrors) ... decorated with tin ... decorated with zinc (lead) ... decorated with copper should not be worn. Whoever should wear it: an offense of wrong doing. Non-leather footwear that is meant for walking should not be worn. Whoever should wear it: an offense of wrong doing. I allow three kinds of non-leather footwear if fixed permanently in place: privy shoes, urinal shoes, rinsing-room shoes." — Mv.V.8.3

  Thanks,
  Rahula