[Buddha-l] Re: H.H. The Dalai Lama vs Geshe Michael

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Aug 21 09:36:06 MDT 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:35:10 +0800 (GMT-8)
  Wong Weng Fai <wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg> wrote:

> One observation I have (not sure if it is east or west
>or both): for a
> lot of people, the more
>learned/meditated/practiced/initiated the person
> is, the bigger the ego gets.

There is not necessarily anything wrong with an ego that
is large because it has some substance and content to it.
The only large egos that are dangerous are those that are
full of hot air and have expanded beyond a healthy size.
They tend to explode easily, and exploding egos can be
very messy.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico