[Buddha-l] Tantric Buddhism

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Wed Aug 23 13:25:46 MDT 2006

I wonder if any of you can recommend a text or texts which could help me
sort out:
(1) Indian Hindu Tantric thought 5th-13th century
(2) Indian Buddhist Tantric thought 5th-13th century
(3) Tibetan Tantric Buddhism

Most texts I own seem to conflate all three, and many consider later
Tibetan Tantric ideas to be the same as the earlier Indian Tantric
practices and beliefs.

I am inclined to believe that there are significant differences between
(2) and (3), but I'm not sure if there were any significant differences
between (1) and (2).

Erik's remarks quoted below offer a start of an answer to my question.

Any references or thoughts would be deeply appreciated.

Bob Zeuschner
Dept. of Philosophy
Pasadena City College