[Buddha-l] the existence of God in Buddhism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Aug 24 07:24:56 MDT 2006

The statement that Buddhism "does not allow for the existence of God" is
certainly wrong. First of all it is worded wrongly - the question is
whether or not Buddhism "allows for" Divine Beings. The given wording
presupposes that one must choose between "God" singular and "no God".

But more importantly, Buddhism quite clearly does "allow for" Divine
Beings. Specifically:

(1) The traditional story of the Buddha's enlightenment involves, at
it's climax, three main characters - two of whom are Supernatural
entities. These are Mara the Deceiver, and the Earth Goddess. The other
main character is, of course, the Buddha.

(2) The Buddha is also traditionally supposed to have called upon
various Gods, such as Baka Brahma, in order to teach them.

(3) One of the pivotal figures in the early spread of Buddhism was Asoka
- whose favorite epithet for himself was "Beloved of the Gods."

(4) In both Korea and Japan (as well as many other Buddhist countries)
Buddhist temples often include shrines to various traditional Gods.

- Curt