[Buddha-l] 84 Mahasiddhas

bclough bclough at aucegypt.edu
Thu Aug 24 09:18:07 MDT 2006

Folks, there are not one but two excellent translations of the lives of the 84 mahasiddhas still easily available:

1) Dowman, Keith. Masters of Mahamudra: Songs and Histories of Eighty-Four Buddhist Siddhas (Albany: SUNY Press, 1984).

2) Robinson, James B. Buddha's Lions: Abhayadatta's Lives of the Eighty-Four Siddhas (Berkeley: Dharma Publishing, 1997).

Brad Clough

> Blumenthal, James schreef:
>
> > I don't have the bibliographic info handy, but there was a book
> > published by the Library of Tibetan Works and Archives that was a
> > translation of the short biographies of the 84 mahasiddhis. That
> > might an interesting place to start. If memory serves me, I think it
> > is simply called, "The Eighty-Four Mahasiddhis".
> > Jim Blumenthal
> >

> Well, James if you find anything, please let us know. I just searched
> the database and I only found the lifestory of Tilopa. I know the
> original book you mention, it has been translated into Hindi and it has
> been around for many years combined with the Tibetan text. There is a
> translation of the songs of the mahaasiddhas by Per Kvearne called 'An
> anthology of Buddhist Tantric Songs'.
> What still puzzles me is the relation between the tantras as ritual
> systems with strong brahmanic influences and the mahaasiddhas, which
> were mainly errant yogis who were not so much into rituals and mainly
> practised asanas and breathing techniques. Some of them didn't even care
> whether they were to be called hindu or buddhist. The Tibetans merged
> all the different tantras into a more or less unified ritual system. The
> songs of the mahaasiddhas and those of their present successors, the
> Bauls, show a strong indifference to rituals and theory. Rituals and
> formal initiations are more a hobby of monks. But somehow the Tibetan
> tradition has developed the ideal of combining the career of a monk and
> a mahaasiddha.
>
> Erik
>

> www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
> weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950

Bradley Clough (bclough at aucegypt.edu)/202-797-6122
Abdulhadi H. Taher Professor of Comparative Religion
History Department (Postal Code #221)
The American University in Cairo
113 Kasr El Aini Street, P.O. Box 2511
Cairo 11511 Egypt