[Buddha-l] the existence of God in Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Aug 24 10:42:13 MDT 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 09:31, Michel Clasquin wrote:

> The Buddhist "gods" are perhaps more comparable to angels in
> Judaism/Christianity/Islam - long-lived and powerful, but by no means
> All-powerful Creators.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the Sanskrit/Pali term "deva" means not
only a god or celestial being but a member of the royal family, a human being
of high social status or a person of great wealth. In short, a deva was
anyone worshiped and served by the Republican party in the USA (by which I
mean the United Snakes of America, not the Union of South Africa).

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy