[Buddha-l] the existence of God in Buddhism

Upeksacitta at aol.com Upeksacitta at aol.com
Sun Aug 27 11:05:09 MDT 2006

Richard Hayes wrote:

"On Friday 25 August 2006 07:42, Vicente Gonzalez wrote:

> He  defines those terms in this way:
>
> 1- atheist is who know that  there is not a God
> 2- agnostic is who suspend any judgement until  further evidence

These categories seem not to include the Buddha's  position, which, as far as
can tell, was that the question of God's  existence is not important.

The definitions given by Russell could also  leave out the position of some
kinds of philosopher who say that because the  question is poorly formulated,
it is unclear what would count as evidence  for one side or the other. I
suppose one could call such a person an  agnostic, but it seems a stronger
position than de facto agnosticism.

For example, one might suspend judgment on the question of whether  George W.
Bush and Richard Cheney planned the attacks on the World Trade  Center. One
might, for example, claim that not all the evidence is in and  that it would
therefore be premature to reach a verdict. So one might be a  de facto
agnostic on that question, holding the view that one lacks the  evidence to
settle a matter that is in principle decidable. But the position  of many
philosophers (including, I think, some Buddhists) is that no amount  of
evidence or reasoning can possibly settle the question of whether or not  God
(as described in a particular way) exists; the question, in their view,  is
in
principle undecidable."

I must agree that Russell's definition is inadequate to defining the
Buddha's agnosticism. The fact that it's unclear what evidence could count for  one
side or the other makes the Buddha's position closer to hard agnosticism, to
what you call de facto agnosticism and I would call soft agnosticism. However,
this doesn't capture the whole of the Buddha's position here , because there
is  a definite pragmatic argument against belief in God, due to such beliefs
being  eternalistic and being primarily sources of attachment. This means that
although  "atheism" is completely inadequate to describe the Buddha's
position, one has to  provide a refined explanation of his agnosticism to make this
term useful too.  Perhaps this involves stipulating a special sense of
agnosticism, but I would  still argue that this stipulation involves a shorter move
from the widespread  sense of the term than the one that would be required to
call the Buddha  "atheist".

I think it is an important philosophical mistake to identify agnosticism
with inaction (this was Hume's mistake when he wrote about scepticism).  The
recognition of not knowing absolutely does not prevent us making a  pragmatic
decision to act on the basis of relatively justified belief.

I must also disagree with Vicen.bcn when he (or she?) gives the Buddha
talking to God in the Pali Canon as a reason for the Buddha not being agnostic.  If
such passages are interpreted symbolically, no claim that God exists is
necessarily implied by them.

Upeksacitta