[Buddha-l] Re: . Sangha model for running a country? Possible?

Michael J. Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 04:28:09 MDT 2006

This is the "red tory" Sulak Sivaraksa view exactly.  MJW

-  He said that the sangha model was used to run Bhutan some 100 years ago  and could still be referred to pull out positive aspects so Bhutan  could itself become a model for rest of the world. "With the western  democracy you cannot stop corruption," he said. "That is evident in the  British and American elections which are filled with it."The advent of  western modernisation in Thailand started a century ago before it came  to Bhutan, and he said that his country adopted western democracy at  the expense of Buddhism.
 "That's where we went wrong as our elites  embraced modernisation at the cost of our own tradition and culture,"  Mr. Sulak Sivaraksa told Kuensel. "Now our invaluable tradition and  culture lives only in the form of dance and music and not as a way of  life." -