[Buddha-l] Saantideva (Re: Pudgalavada)

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 1 08:45:50 MST 2006

Joy,

.
> 103. That which is not in the body nor anywhere else, neither intermingled
nor somewhere separate, is nothing. Therefore, sentient beings are by nature
liberated.
> http://www.shantideva.net
>
> Mind is neither within nor without
> Nor is it found anywhere else
> It is neither mixed with other things, nor apart from them.
> Beings are by nature in Nirvana.
> Guenther
>
>  (I don't agree with the "that which. is nothing" in the above
translation)

GANG ZHIG LUS MIN GZHAN DU MIN
Whatever is not body nor otherwise/elsewhere,
(GANG ZHIG = yad, whoever, whatever; LUS=kaaya, body; MIN=na, not GZHAN
DU=otherwise, elsewhere; MIN=not)

'DRES MIN LOGS SU'ANG 'GAR MED PA
neither mixed, nor separate, is nonexistent.
('DRES=intermixed MIN=not LOGS SU=elsewhere,apart, separate 'ANG=aapi, also,
too, still 'GAR=some, sometimes MED PA=naasti, nonexistent)

DE NI CUNG ZAD MIN DE'I PHYIR
That being untenable, therefore
(DE NI=that one, those are; CUNG ZAD MIN=are incorrect DE'I PHYIR=therefore)

SEMS CAN RANG BZHIN MYA NGAN 'DAS
sentient beings are naturally nirvanic
(SEMS CAN=sattva, sentient beings; RANG BZHIN MYA NGAN 'DAS=prak.rti
niv.rta, nirvanic by nature)

One of our resident Tibetologists can perhaps offer a better reading.

Dan Lusthaus