[Buddha-l] Saantideva (Re: Pudgalavada)

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Fri Dec 1 09:53:22 MST 2006

Dan wrote and translated (thanks)

>GANG ZHIG LUS MIN GZHAN DU MIN
>Whatever is not body nor otherwise/elsewhere,
>(GANG ZHIG = yad, whoever, whatever; LUS=kaaya, body; MIN=na, not GZHAN
>DU=otherwise, elsewhere; MIN=not)

>'DRES MIN LOGS SU'ANG 'GAR MED PA
>neither mixed, nor separate, is nonexistent.
>('DRES=intermixed MIN=not LOGS SU=elsewhere,apart, separate 'ANG=aapi, also,
>too, still 'GAR=some, sometimes MED PA=naasti, nonexistent)
>
>DE NI CUNG ZAD MIN DE'I PHYIR
>That being untenable, therefore
>(DE NI=that one, those are; CUNG ZAD MIN=are incorrect DE'I PHYIR=therefore)

Oops, I forgot about this sentence in my answer to Richard, and it doesn't leave much leeway.
"cung zad" can also mean "the slightest", so "doesn't have the slightest existence". For me there is a slight difference between the non-existence of "med pa" and "min pa". Med pa having a connotation of not being present, whereas min pa is more of a not ontologically existing.

>One of our resident Tibetologists can perhaps offer a better reading.

I hope Stephen will pick up a twice made hint.

Joy