[Buddha-l] Saantideva (Re: Pudgalavada)

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Fri Dec 1 10:22:00 MST 2006

>Joy Vriens wrote :
>I still have a problem with "That which ... is nothing". The Tibetan "gar"
>means "where" and can be short for "gar yang" "anywhere". With a negation
>this becomes nowhere, exists nowhere, your locus. For me this is very
>different from "nothing".

Stephen

>The "nothing" correctly corresponds to the Tibetan "cung-zad min" (na
>ki~ncit), not "gar [med-pa]" (kvacit).  I see no problem with the
>translations from Sanskrit or Tibetan that have bee offered -- though the
>Guenter version misses out a line from the Tibetan and so has limited value.

Doesn't the sanskrit translate "not something"? There is a difference for me between "not something" and "nothing". It may be a detail, but it is an important detail IMO in order to capture the subtility.

Perhaps a - not exactly analogous I am afraid - exemple will illustrate my problem:

Love, not being in the body nor anywhere else, neither intermingled
nor somewhere separate, is nothing.

Joy