[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada #3b

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Sat Dec 2 16:26:41 MST 2006

Dear Dan et al,

Here is my rendering of the next part of the text.  I hope some of my
suggestions will be useful.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge

* * * * *
(Longer version, pt. 2)

DL: [To speak of] "past, future and present" is to practice the heuristics
for metaphorical device. This is the heuristics for metaphorical device by
naming. [i.e., past, present and future are only nominally real.] This is
the association of the three times (past, present and future).   Such as:
"In the past, I was King Ku'sa".  "In the future I will have the name
Ajita." "At present I work at mastering an understanding (by means of
mantric arts) of what's important [roles I] have not yet assumed or have
already assumed, [such as] merchant (in the three times)."
SH: *Upaaya-prajñapti names past, future and present sa.mskaaras.   Naming
by this *upaaya-prajñapti concerns the connection / continuity of the three
times,  as [when the Buddha said], "In the past, I was King Kuoa", "In the
future, [you] shall be named Ajita", "In the present, [he] is a successful
erchant (vai'sya)" and so forth.  The various sa.mskaaras have already been
appropriated [in the past] or have not yet been appropriated [in the
future], but are designated for the sake of convention.
NOTES:  This section is textually a mess !  * I suggest deleting the twice
duplicated "fangbian jiaoshou".  * The text for the third quote is
particularly garbled in my opinion.   I think Thien Chau has got it wrong
and Dan's version is quite creative.  * First, "gongshi" is an attested form
for "vai'sya" and a annotation about this was inserted, but displaced --
thereby interupting the next sentence.  * Additionally, the "mantric arts"
is a complete red-herring which should be deleted.  Somebody saw the "gong
shi da" and separated off the "shi da" and assumed it was a transcription
for "siddha".  That my reconstruction is roughly correct can be seen by
looking at the same set of quotes given in T1649 (p466b 27).  * Finally,
Dan's "what's important" here and elsewhere is a misunderstanding of "wei
shou" -- this is merely an attested translation of "-aadi", literally
"headed by / beginning with", but usually meaning "et cetera". * I have
re-punctuated "sushu gu jiaoshou" since that comment logically goes with the
statement concerning the sa.mskaaras.  Moreover, I suggest amending "shu" to
"yi", to yield an equivalent to "vyavahaara" or "sa.mv.rti"

DL: Such conventional roles are numerous, hence they are heuristically
adopted [by assuming their] annihilation and permanence. If Ku'sa has
ceased, in what sense am I he? If he has not ceased, in what sense can one
say he is I? It is by means of conventionalisms (vyavahara) that one says
so; it is a heuristic metaphorical device.
SH:  Because of this annihilation and permanence, [one might ask], "If that
Ku'sa has perished, then how am I he ?  If he has not perished, how can one
say that he is me ?"   One speaks about [this] on the sa.mv.rti level of
meaning.  This is *upaaya-praj~napti.