[Buddha-l] Fw: [RISA-L] Buddhist Story: Source?

Ngawang Dorje rahula_80 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 2 22:48:51 MST 2006

Hi,

  I first encountered this story in, "What Buddhist Believe" by Ven Dr. K Sri Dhammananda.
  http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Clubs/buddhism/dhammananda/

  In the chapter, Miraculous Power, Ven Dhammananda wrote:

  "The following story illustrates the Buddha's attitude towards miraculous powers. One day the Buddha met an ascetic who sat by the bank of a river. This ascetic had practised austerities for 25 years. The Buddha asked him what he had received for all his labour. The ascetic proudly replied that, now at last, he could cross the river by walking on the water. The Buddha pointed out that this gain was insignificant for all the years of labour, since he could cross the river using a ferry for one penny! "
  http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Clubs/buddhism/dhammananda/31.htm

  Unfortunately, Ven Dhammananda did not provide any reference for the story.

  It also appears in, "BUDDHISM: It's Essence and Development" by Edward Conze (pp 104-5):

  "One day the Buddha met an ascetic who sat by the bank of a river. This ascetic had practised austerities for 25 years. The Buddha asked him what he had received for all his labor. The ascetic proudly replied that, now at last, he could cross the river by walking on the water. The Buddha pointed out that this gain was insignificant for all the years of labor, since he could cross the river using a ferry for one penny!"

  I am not sure whether Conze provided any reference.

  Best wishes,
  Rahula

jkirk <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:
  Jeffery Long asked me to post this on the list. Hopes someone here can solve
the mystery.
He is also about to join I think.
Joanna