[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 4 13:03:36 MST 2006

I should amend my previous, as it turns out incorrect, comment that Sanghadeva -- the translator of the short version -- is only connected with the Jnanaprasthana (apart from the short text). He was much more active, though not everything has survived.

In addition to the Jnanaprasthana, he translated

1. abhidharma-hṛdaya-śāstra (T.28.1550, the first of several times this was translated; the prototype from which Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakośa derived)

2. an Abhidharma-Vibhāṣā (lost, we don't know if this is Saṃmitīya, Sarvāstivāda, etc.)

3. the Madhyamāgama (T.1.26, the non-Theravādin version of the Majjhima-nikāya)

4. the Ekottarāgama (T.2.125, the non-Theravādin version of the Angutara-Nikāya)

5. and a lost Jiaoshou [!] biqiuni fa (Prajnapti [?]-bhikṣuṇī-dharma) [note Jiaoshou, used for the second prajñapti in the long text, here seems to be used in its more regular meaning or "teachings, instructions". Since the text is not extant we can only guess that it might have been something similar to the Therigata. Lacking any inflection or prepositions, it's not clear if this is Teachings OF the Nuns, or Teachings TO the nuns, or Teachings ABOUT nuns.]

Dan Lusthaus