[Buddha-l] Fw: BAU or Buddha's life ... which came first?

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 6 15:28:50 MST 2006

Joanna,

I don't think anyone wants to take this on - it's just too difficult.

In short,
1. if the Majjhima discourses (or rather some of them) are something
close to the actual words of the Buddha and you accept that they are
critiquing certain of the earliest Upani.sads, then the oldest two or
four Upani.sads are contemporary with or earlier than the Buddha.

2. If you think the Majjhima discourses (or the relevant passages in
them), took something like their present form some time after the
life of the `Buddha or you don't think they critique the Upani.sads,
then the Upani.sads could have developed after the time of the Buddha.

3. The Upani.sads were originally dated on the basis of the dates of
the Buddha and Mahaaviira. That would seem to imply that they should
be later now that most Buddhologists accept a later date for the
Buddha. I am not sure how far they can be dated on the internal
evidence of brahmanical literature alone.

Lance