[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada - Vasumitra

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Fri Dec 8 05:48:35 MST 2006

Dan Lusthaus rwote

> I'm sure Stephen will find several things to quibble about in my
> translation, but the pertinent passage is the second to last, the one in
> which the third item of the list of four (ksanti, etc.) is described. We
> are
> given examples of "images," types of objects: someone familiar appearing
> in
> a dream, or an image in a mirror. These are nimittas.

Dear Dan,

I am not entirely convinced by your re-punctuated translation of the latter
part of this passage, but after having reviewed the evidence again last
night before bed, I was going to write that I was having second thoughts
about this anyway.   So I am happy to concede that in fact we are most
likely dealing with xiang / nimitta rather than xiang / sa.mj~naa.  However,
it may be the case that underlying Indic text for T1506 did have
sa.mj~naa -- given that definitionally nimitta implies sa.mj~naa and vice
versa.

Best wishes,
Styephen Hodge