[Buddha-l] Niścaya again

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Dec 8 14:33:39 MST 2006

On Friday 08 December 2006 12:22, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> How about instead of differentiating between know that P and be convinced
> that P, one distinguishes between know that P and know P, the former
> referring to conceptual knowledge and the latter to the special type of
> knowing involved in direct perception of discrete particulars (though P in
> this case would necessarily be nonreducible to linguistic
> conceptualization)?

I am not sure whether niścaya is used to refer to direct knowledge of
momentary particulars---I haven't yet had time to look through Ono's
concordance of every word ever used by Dharmakirti for that information. I do
know that the term is used a lot with reference to propositional knowledge,
and that is the context I am now most worried about for my current
translation project. The terms niścaya and niścita come up around twenty
times in the first forty verses or their commentaries of the PVSV. Both of
those words are invariably translated by the Tibetans as nges pa. That
Tibetan phrase is also used to translated avaśyam, niyata, niyama,
pratiniyata,

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Dan. There is more to say, and I will say it
as soon as I dig my way out from under the stack of essays and final exams I
have to grade, none of which are---alas---on topics in Indian Buddhist
epistemology.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy