[Buddha-l] Political views of Buddhists

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Dec 14 11:58:58 MST 2006

Dear comrades, er um, denizems:

Benito has made the interesting claim that most Westerners are Marxists. (I
guess that would explain why Germany, France, the UK, Australia, Canada,
Israel and the USA all have elected right-wing governments.) Dennis Lingwood,
founder of the Western Buddhist Order and a social and political
conservative, has observed with some alarm  that the majority of Western
Buddhists are political leftists. James Coleman has surveyed Buddhist
converts (not asian Buddhist immigrants) in the USA and found that 96%
identify themselves as politically left of center.

For years and years I have found the terms "left" and "right" and "liberal"
and "conservative" unhelpful and almost meaningless. None of those terms
unambiguously capture how I would identify myself or most people whose
political and social views I know about.

Some political scientists in the UK have devised a new way of discussing
political orientation. It places people on a graph with two axes. The x-axis
plots where a person stands on economic issues; left of 0.0 indicates
favoring government control of corporations, as well as favoring
tax-supported healthcare, education and social programs, while right of 0,0
indicates favoring free trade and minimal governmental regulation and low
taxation. The y-axis indicates where one stands on governmental social
regulation; above 0,0 indicates a tendency toward authoritarian policy, while
below 0,0 indicates libertarian policy.

If you visualize a standard two-axis graph and imagine four quadrants, here is
where some well-known figures would fall according to these political
scientists:

NW (authoritarian communist): Pope Benedict, Stalin, Kim Jongil, Fidel Castro,
Pol Pot, Robert Mugabe and Hugo Chavez.

NE (authoritarian free-market liberals): Hitler, Olmert, Bush, Chirac, Blair,
Thatcher, Howard, Harper and Merkel.

SW (libertarian communist): Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, Dalai Lama XIV.

SE (libertarian free-market liberal): Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman, Thomas
Freedman.

Denizens of buddha-l, your assignment if you should choose to accept it, is to
take the short political quiz at http://www.politicalcompass.org/ and to
report your score back to the rest of us. (This will help Benito do his
research into the political orientation of Western Buddhists.)

My score: -8.63, -7.13 (This means I'm about 87% communist and 71% libertarian
and therefor in the same sector as Gandhi, HHDL and Mandela, although
consideraby more to the left than any of them. This would put me pretty
solidly in the sector of folks that Benito sees as Buddhists in dire need of
reform and cure, perhaps even of inquisition. My company in this sector, in
addition o HHDL, would probably be Thich Nhat Hanh and Bhikkhu Buddhadasa. My
high communist score would explain why I tend to get along pretty well with
Unitarians, Quakers and anabaptists, and the high libertarian score would
explain why I am so allergic to lamas, swamis, gurus, roshis, priests,
rabbis, imams, deans and departmental chairs.

I'm eager as hell to hear reports of where my beloved fellow denizens reside
on the Political Compass graph. So drop what you're doing and take the test!

http://www.politicalcompass.org/questionnaire

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy