[Buddha-l] Ven Maha Kassapa and the flower

M.B. Schiekel mb.schiekel at arcor.de
Mon Dec 18 06:31:04 MST 2006

jkirk wrote:

> ... The Buddha plucks a
> flower and holds it up. Mahakassapa smiles, and the Buddha says words to
> the effect that MK understood the point.
> ...Can someone tell me if this story is part of the Mahayana literature or
> is in the Pali literature, and where to find it?

Hallo Joanna,

Dumoulin is saying, the first occurence of this Kasyapa-story is found
in the forth Chan chronicle 'Tsung-men lien-teng hui-yao' (1183). For
more recent information about the development of Chan and especially the
Chan genealogical system, please have a look at:
J.R. McRae, Seeing through Zen.

in metta,
bernhard

--