[Buddha-l] Watching Heaven on teevee

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Sat Dec 23 11:03:25 MST 2006

Joanne wrote:

>Taverns and brothels, eh? [Vimalakiirti] wasn't alone in making such visits, but the Zen
>poets who wrote about such places at least were there participating rather
>than proselytizing.

Well, at least that is what Vimala must have told mrs Kiirti for obvious reasons of compassion.
"I am off to the brothel now, dear" - "I am so proud of you, honey"

>What the Dalai Lama said last night is what he usually says in such venues,
>and he also answered direct questions from Ms Walters. I got no sense that
>he was proselytizing.

Like any bodhisattva he must have taken the vow to proselytize ;-). And what else could we call someone who publishes a book every other month?

>As the ex-leader of his country now overrun by China, am pretty sure that he
>feels obliged to appear in public if possible whenever requested.

You're probably right.

Joy