[Buddha-l] Thoughts on action in 2007

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Dec 27 20:45:46 MST 2006

A while back I posted this book for list denizens' consideration:
David Korten, _The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community_, 2006.
It could be considered as a supportive counterpart to David Loy's _The Great
Awakening_, an analysis of capitalist/corporate domination and psychology in
Buddhist terms.

I just found Korten's website, http://www.davidkorten.com/  , where you can
find more on his ideas of building community in the face of the hell we live
in now when getting rich, making more money, is the dominant goal.

His earlier book was titled _When Corporations Rule the World_,  an
international bestseller that helped expose the attack on democracy and
economic justice being advanced through free trade agreements and the
institutions that negotiate and enforce them.

I realize that some members of this list are rampant individualists and
hearty capitalists, so these ideas won't speak to them, but I suspect they
might be felt worthwhile by some of us. I just got an announcement that
Korten will be speaking at our local Unitarian Fellowship on Jan 19th. I'll
be there.

Will 2007 be better than the past 6 years? Can we do anything about it?
Joanna