[Buddha-l] Re: Linden dollars for Buddha?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 31 04:49:22 MST 2006

Michael J. Wilson schreef:
> Hi
>
> I think a 3D virtual reality portal for academics would work on
> occassion over conferences, for the reasons you delineate.  I am
> intrigued with the development of this kind of software, because that
> is part of what my job entails, working for academics at a university.
>
> For some reason I am beginning to imagine a society where we have a
> virtual 3D self and identity more or less locked in, and subject to
> governance, as we have in our own reality.  Not much room for fantasy
> there either.
>
> When I was in the book store today I saw a book package which was
> actually a set of four fold out altars to Buddhist goddesses.  This
> could easily be made into something digital, and transportable as an
> illusion-like 3D virtual altar, if it isn't already.
>
> Let us login.  Let us pray.  Yah, that's one for the IT guy.
I know something better. I just let my virtual self do the praying. But the bugger is very smart and lazy, so he creates a virtual world with a praying avatar of him and of course this guy is smart and lazy as well, so he does the same and so on and so on. And because this is all my imagination it goes a warp speed, there's no matter involved to slow anything down and infinitisemal mathematics tells us there's a real limit here, it doesn't go on indefenitely. So there 's a bunch of guys out there doing all my prayers, as much as there are grains of sand on the banks of the Ganges. I must be in Sukhavati allready.
I guess the Tibetans allready invented the principle when the made prayerwheels the turn endlessly by the force of wind or water

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950