[Buddha-l] Dependent arising variants

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Thu Feb 2 09:34:12 MST 2006

On Feb 1, 2006, at 8:48 PM, curt wrote:

> Death is not inevitable. Take single celled organisms, for example.
> They divide. Nobody "dies" when a cell divides.

You equivocate, senor. single-celled organizims aren't exactly born
in the sense used here. If fact they are reincarnated, without the
necessity of the conditional cell that divides having to disappear
before the recincarnated forms can appear. Sort of a simultaneous  or
serial reincarnation.  On the other hand, any single cell (or
millions of single-celled) critters can be killed, as when you boil
water or bake bread.
In short, what you say makes no sense, no matter how you slice it.

> Single celled organisms are the most numerous form of life - so any
> sweeping generalizations should apply to them. The generalization
> that death is inevitable does not, however, apply to them. So it is
> invalid. It's possible that one could make a generalization about
> "multicellular organisms of the Kingdom Animalia" - but even that
> would not be a sure thing. Even deciding what exactly a
> "multicellular organism" is, exactly, is not always clear. For
> instance, what appear to be individual "Aspen trees" can, in fact,
> be thought of parts of huge organisms that cover entire
> mountainsides. I will die and Dan Lusthaus will die - but death is
> not an inevitable event for a living thing.

And it keeps getting sillier. Yes, large groves of aspens (like many
fungi) are multiple vertical manifestations of subterranean root
systems. Of course every leaf of every branch of every trunk of every
root is itself multicellular. It can also pass from a "living" state
to a "dead" state, to wonderfully colorful effect. so what?

Jim Peavler

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755