[Buddha-l] Dependent arising variants

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Feb 2 14:14:55 MST 2006

Please excuse any past equivocation - perhaps I was being too
conversational and paid too high a price precision-wise. How's this for
non-equivocationality:
(1) The generalization that "all living things must die" is invalid, and
(2) The notion of "birth", both as the Buddha used it and as it being
used in this discussion, is hopelessly underdetermined.

Anyone with any knowledge of developmental biology knows that "birth",
as taken to mean "that event at which life begins", is a completely
muddled idea. The same is true for "conception". Its also true for the
development of the neural crest, which at least one catholic theologian
has proposed, in all seriousness, as the event at which one can say
"life begins".  Even the very process of fertilization is not definable
as a single event that takes place at a given "moment". Fertilization of
a human ovum by a human sperm takes several hours - and each stage of
the process can itself be broken down into substages.

Of course, the Buddha was unaware of the muddledness of these ideas - at
least it appears he was. He took it as given that "all living things
must die" and that "birth is the beginning of life" (or, alternatively,
that conception is). And he had no idea what a cell is.  I think that
the lesson is that the Buddhadharma is not a good place to look for
insight into biology. Any sweeping generalizations about "life" must, it
seems to me, take biological facts into consideration.

The point about the aspens is that any attempt to arbitrarily concoct
definitions about "life" that are limited to multicellular organisms are
doomed to fail - because that concept is also underdetermined.

The real lesson - don't argue from biology.

- Curt