[Buddha-l] Buddhism and blasphemy

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Feb 5 17:50:58 MST 2006

According to tradition the first two zen "patriarchs" were both killed
because they were thought to be teaching what amounted to "Buddhist
blasphemy". Bodhidharma was poisoned (in fact, the tradition is that he
was poisoned repeatedly, but protected himself magically each time until
he was certain that he had completed his mission). Bodhidharma's killing
was murder by private individuals acting privately - but Huiko (Huike)
was officially executed. There was some pretext for doing so, but the
actual cause was that he was luring students away from studying the
Sutras, like good Buddhists, and encouraging them to devote themselves,
instead, to the practice of meditation.

As far as I know there is little, if any, historical evidence for either
of these stories. Whether they are true or not (in fact, even more so if
they are not true) they reveal a great deal about how Zen "sees itself".

But the most famous "iconoclastic story" from the Zen tradition, in my
opinion, is the one about how Tahui gathered together all the copies of
the Blue Cliff Record that he could find and burned them (the Blue Cliff
Record had, in fact, been compiled by this teacher Yuanwu). Now, one way
of looking at it is that Tahui was the iconoclast for burning the books
- but the other way of looking at it is that from within the Zen
tradition Yuanwu's act of compiling the book in the first place can be
seen as the truly iconoclastic act. The usual understanding, however, is
that Yuanwu wasn't trying to be iconoclastic - but was rather reacting
to a perceived decline in the quality of Zen practice and teaching. He
wanted to preserve in writing the actions of those great giants of Zen's
Golden Age - because, he thought, they just weren't making 'em like that
anymore. And Tahui's actions are seen as admirable, but perhaps a bit
extreme. In his commentaries on the Sandokai, Shunryu Suzuki Roshi
describes Rinzai as "younger brother Zen" and Soto as "older brother
Zen". Although they are both solidly within the Lin Chi lineage, Yuanwu
seems to have acted as the older brother and Tahui as the younger.

- Curt