[Buddha-l] Buddhism and blasphemy

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Feb 8 10:40:05 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 14:12 +0100, Benito Carral wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 8, 2006, Alex Wilding wrote:
>
> > If  the  Muslims concerned had been mature enough not
> > to care what other peoples' opinions of Mohammed are,
> > we would all be a lot more relaxed now.
>
>    I  think  that  this kind of ethnocentric thought is
> one  of  the  reasons  of the increasing tension in the
> world nowdays.

You seem to have a fixation on ethnocentricity, Benito. There is nothing
ehtnocentric in Alex's comments. He is not claiming that any particular
ethnic group has a particular set of characteristics. He is not judging
another people by the narrow standards of his own ethnic group. He is
talking about the behavior of individuals, and he is assessing it by
norms that can be found just about everywhere in the world and in all
major religions and so can be considered universally human.

This is not the first time you have made careless accusations about
ethnocentricity, and one might be justified in concluding you do not
really have any idea what the term means.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy