[Buddha-l] Buddhism and blasphemy

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Feb 7 09:17:40 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 19:52 -0500, Dante Rosati wrote:

> I don't think things are really any different now then they ever have been throughout history.

If you mean that human nature has not changed since people began
recording the sad and crazy actions of human beings, I agree. The way
things have changed, however, is that human cleverness has resulted in
technological innovations that can do far more damage than the tools
people used in earlier times. Flying an airplane into a skyscraper does
more damage to more people and property than driving a chariot into a
stone wall or running on foot into thatched hut. Burning fossil fuels to
propel automobiles, trucks, trains and airplanes does far more
environmental damage than walking barefoot. Having a human population of
over 6,000,000,000 (whether you call it six billion or six thousand
million) puts more of a strain on the biosphere than having a human
population of less than 1,000,000,000.

> They dont call it "'khor ba" for nothing.

Some of us don't call it khor ba at all (especially those of us who
don't know what the hell the word means).

--
Richard Hayes
***