[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Blasphemy

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Wed Feb 8 00:51:42 MST 2006

Richard P. Hayes wrote:

>> " it's not the insult that causes the riots, but the
>>  habit of coming together on Friday and become collectively angry at the
>>  ennemy and the more crwod you can get togehter the better a mullah you
>>  are."

> We now see the hazards of letting some contributors post unmoderated.
> The author of these comments (which I had not see, since I was
> automatically deleting all this posts) is now under moderation. Those
> remarks, and others made by the same contributor, are completely out of
> line with the spirit of buddha-l, as Lara has rightly observed.

I have read these lines but since I have been reading Eric's (the author
of these lines, not Vicente) posts for a while, I gave him the benefit
of the doubt and read it as a bit of a rough way to say that their
religion is manipulated by some for political reasons (e.g. the Syrian
government is being accused of organizing some of the riots). In the
paragraph above the remark you quoted he mentioned examples of political
use of religion in the context of Buddhism. But I haven't seen the other
remarks you are referring to.

Joy