[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Blasphemy

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 14:46:43 MST 2006

Whitney, Bodman wrote:

WB> I gather that the reason for the extra cartoons is that these were
WB> hate-mail that Danish clerics had received.
WB> I think the ME response was mostly triggered by the lack of Danish
WB> response to Muslim concerns.  They refused to meet delegations of
WB> Muslims who traveled to Denmark to make their objections known.  The
WB> Danish snub probably reflected local politics, and the riots in Lebanon,
WB> Syria and Gaza reflect the local issues there.  This is all not really
WB> about the cartoons, but about Iraq, Abu Ghraib, Hamas-Fatah rivalry,
WB> Christian-Muslim tensions in Lebanon and a host of other issues.

yes, I agree very much. Note also the Danish newspaper is right-wing
oriented. Before publishing the cartoons, they asked to some expert
people in Muslim culture. That people said that it was not a wise
idea. However, also they ignore the advice. Well, it seems that it was
not a spontaneous thing,

I ignore if in the USA you have available a recent interview with
Nobel prize and atheist Gunter Grass. It is very interesting.
At least I fully agree with his views.

Also, we know in the West we have a clear association between
attacking the religion and the personal freedom. For obvious
historical reason. It arrives everywhere, even to western Buddhist
practitioners. In example, Sangharakshita wrote:

"Blasphemy should be recognized as healthy, and as necessary to the
moral and spiritual development of the individual, especially when he
has been subject to the oppressive and coercive influence of Christianity."
"Buddhism and Blasphemy" (London: Windhorse Press, 1978)

And on God, he wrote that one must publicly insult him and that
type of blasphemy should be encouraged.

I cannot recognize this procedure according with Dharma. Of course one
should attack the dogmatic side of any religion but then, also he need
to show alternatives views. On the contrary, the message is that one
religion is worse than the other one.

It implies a destructive intention. In the Danish case. using the
selfish procedure to explore the tolerance limits in other cultural
group.
Sure that many Muslims today are ignorant understanding his own
religion and also they don't have some Renaissance in their History,
etc... But in this case, still they deserve more respect.
Even more when many of them don't have available alternative views
in their societies because economic and social factors related with
the our western exploitation in their countries.

I think that all this can be considered as a cruel behavior against
the weak people.

WB> This reminds me (intended tie-in) about the discussion on this site of a
WB> bikini with Buddha images, one right over the crotch.  Some were hurt by
WB> this, or offended.  Others saw this as an opportunity to be reminded of
WB> essential Buddhist teachings of non-attachment, but there were no
WB> political ramifications.
WB> What I am wondering is if, In Buddhist history, there have been times
WB> when high political tensions have erupted in similar ways over issues of
WB> blasphemy.

there are the famous ages in the arising of Nichiren, in were
blasphemy was a widely used word among political conflicts.

best regards,