[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Blasphemy

Chris castanford at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 02:16:10 MST 2006

On 2/10/06, Richard P. Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

> But it bothers me ferociously when people refer to the Buddha
> as Sid.

Actually, Richard (Stephen Harper forbid that I would ever ink Rich' or Rick
or even (dare I scribe it?!) 'Dick'), when I wrote 'Sid', I was thinking of
that fellow we've all been led to believe had the names Siddhartha Gautama
(or spelling variations thereof). I consider the "Buddha" to be quite a
different reality.

When using short-forms of names, I never intend any disrespect whatsoever.
Indeed, I view such a practice more as a form of endearment rather than one
of disrespect. I will, in future, observe your sensitivities on this issue,
however.
-Christopher (but you can call me "Chris") Stanford