[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Blasphemy

Chris castanford at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:19:17 MST 2006

On 2/10/06, Mike Austin <mike at lamrim.org.uk> wrote
<snip>

> I was concerned it
> would lower respect for the Buddha and his teachings, maybe causing some
> people not to take an interest in them. --
> Metta
> Mike Austin

<snip>

Thanks for these thoughts, Mike. They raise an interesting point for me and
my practice as I really don't give a cat's ass what Sid's teachings do for
others nor how much respect others afford these ideas. That's their
quagmire. My only concern is how *I* can integrate these teachings into *my*
life to reduce my discomfort level and thereby render me a more peaceful and
helpful being to my fellow humans. (Apologies to Buddhadassa for all the
'me's and 'my's!) I believe one can integrate the Buddha's teachings into
their personal lives quite well with or without  a Buddha image on their
undergarments. The faithful (in the Sam Harris sense of the word) here in
Thailand are wont to make a very big deal out of anyone sporting a Buddha
image or amulet anywhere below the breast pocket. Such garbage!