[buddha-l] it's not about belief

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Jan 5 19:35:59 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 17:52 -0500, Curt Steinmetz wrote:

> I find it fascinating that there is this united-front of Christians and
> secularists insisting that Christianity is not a worst case scenario in
> terms of Religious tolerance, but that it is rather simply the norm. The
> reason for this united-front is obvious - once it is realized that
> intolerance is not an intrinsic feature of all Religions, the secularist
> dream of ridding humanity of Religion rather loses its appeal.

The dream of ridding the entire world of people who can't or don't think
clearly has not lost its appeal to me. I'm counting on the avian flu to
do the trick. If it doesn't, then we may have to wait for a bunch of
fanatical non-Christian idiots from North Korea, Iran, India, Israel or
Washington, DC to blow us all up with nuclear weapons. (Remember when we
all used to hide our heads under the desk, practicing for the day when
the USSR would blow us all up? Seems like only yesterday.)

As usual, you incapacity to mount anything but rants has worn me out. I
have considerable interest in the topic, but not in your fanatically
anti-Christian approach to it.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy