[Buddha-l] Modern Advaita sages

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Jan 10 07:47:00 MST 2006

What an odd description of Vivekananda Erik's is. One would never
suspect that this was the same guy who traveled around asking people if
they had seen God - until he finally found someone who had. Or the same
guy who was known for the beautiful voice with which he sang traditional
devotional hymns to the Hindu Gods. Or the same man who asserted that
when his teacher touched him he felt his own identity dissolve - and
that when he panicked his teacher withdrew the touch and the the feeling
went away. At that point his teacher (the country bumpkin Ramakrishna)
reassured him "It need not be done all at once. It will come to pass in
the course of time."

It is only natural for people with differing points of view to want to
claim Vivekananda as "their own". Fortunately there is plenty of
Vivekananda to go around. To the rationalists he is a rationalist. To
the mystics he is a mystic. To the Hindus he's a Hindu. To wine drinkers
he's a wine drinker. But once you have found your own reflection in him
don't make the mistake of thinking that's all there is.

- Curt