[Buddha-l] Modern Advaita sages

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jan 10 09:56:12 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 09:47 -0500, Curt Steinmetz wrote:

> It is only natural for people with differing points of view to want to
> claim Vivekananda as "their own". Fortunately there is plenty of
> Vivekananda to go around. To the rationalists he is a rationalist. To
> the mystics he is a mystic. To the Hindus he's a Hindu. To wine drinkers
> he's a wine drinker. But once you have found your own reflection in him
> don't make the mistake of thinking that's all there is.

Hallelujah! I knew if I kept working on the transcendental Perfection of
Patience long enough, Dr Steinmetz would finally say something with
which I could agree. Well, I almost agree. I would only want to add that
there is only one REAL Vivekananda, namely, mine, the one who said "I
wish I could forget everything I have learned."

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy