[Buddha-l] The way the wind blows

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Wed Jan 11 13:07:58 MST 2006

In a message dated 1/11/2006 1:58:03 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jehms at xs4all.nl writes:

I heard  Akong Rinpoche stick to the thought that Zenmasters couldn't be
beyond the  second bodhisattvabhumi, whereas the Karmapa certainly would
be on the  nineth, because of some theoretical argument. This doesn't
help. If  enlightenment means anyhting more than a vague symbol, we need
practical  criteria, not dependent on any creed. And I don't think that
it has  anything to do with race or culture.

=====
Some say the concept of enlightenment is absolutely necessary for Buddhism
and one's spiritual journey. My view is different. Getting a little wiser, a
little more compassionate and a little more comfortable in our skins each year
is the important issue. My method of evaluating a teacher is whether  their
technique made themselves better than they were. Will their technique make  me
better than I am?

Jack