[Buddha-l] The way the wind blows

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 11 18:04:18 MST 2006

Curt et al.,

I have to side with Jack on this one, for several reasons. First, with
me, as with Richard, a disturbingly high percentage of spiritual
teachers teach methods that would certainly make me wiser, more
compassionate, and more comfortable in my own skin. So this method
would not fail when put into practice in my beginner's life.

But, if I read him correctly, Curt was getting at something more
serious: the tendency to project onto teachers qualities we desire for
ourselves, and project them with such intensity that we become blind to
those teachers' real failings. This is indeed a serious and horribly
common danger. God knows Zen training falls prey to it all the time.
But it *can* be avoided. How? By the teacher encouraging the student to
continually re-examine the teacher and the teaching relationship; by
the teacher doing the same herself or himself; and by subjecting that
relationship, the models of behavior, the desired qualities, and all
actions by both teacher and student to an independent standard. Not
some vague set of desires we come up with, but something clear,
carefully constructed, and time tested. What should we choose? Oh, how
about sila? How about the precepts? How about the paramitas?

This last bit might be the hardest, but it is exactly what the Buddha
calls for in the infamous Kalama Sutta, and it is *not* impossible.
What *is* impossible (for most of us, anyway) is "simply start[ing]
being more like" how we want to be. Doesn't matter how clear we are; we
need help. I should know, this kind of intellectualized approach to
Buddhism and personal growth is exactly my prapanca.

Good luck to us all,

Franz Metcalf