[Buddha-l] gorgeous sung version of Heart Sutra

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 12 16:46:52 MST 2006

Gang,

I don't know the merits of the Sanskrit version, but a Chinese version
sung by nuns to a shockingly celtic melody that I bought at a relics of
the Buddha tour, really calms down my 18 month old daughter when she's
fussy in the car. Perhaps she's as (senti)mental as Dante.

BTW: The tour was the Heart Shrine Relic Tour, organized by Lama Zopa
Rinpoche, who was just mentioned on another thread. It's a tour of the
relics destined to be displayed in a 150 meter statue of Maitreya in
Kushinagar. Check out http://www.maitreyaproject.org/

Mighty impressive collection, I have to say, with not only Shakyamuni,
but various of his disciples and teachers from several traditions
contributing their sharira. This was the first time I had seen sharira
in person and the occasion for my daughter's first utterance of the
word, "Buddha" (at 11 months!). I'm sure she didn't know what she was
saying, but her middle name *is* Miroku (Japanese for Maitreya).

Hmmm, sounds like *I'm* getting sentimental now, too.

Franz Metcalf