[Buddha-l] gorgeous sung version of Heart Sutra

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Fri Jan 13 03:05:44 MST 2006

Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> Yes, thanks for posting it. It's a fascinating example of the perfection
> of silliness.
> Who ever got the idea to put the Heart Sutra to music (with a Bengali
> accent, yet)? The Heart Sutra is not even in verse. It's not even
> written in ornamented prose. Some say it wasn't even written in Sanskrit
> but was translated into rather ugly Sanskrit from Chinese.

Of course we would have preferred the Buddha wrote himself his teachings
in ornamented prose with his own webbed fingers, so others didn't have
to guess what the Buddha said or write What Would Buddha Do? Instead of
having endless discussons on this list and elsewhere, we would have had
time to do more useful things. But being omniscient etc. he must have
wanted it this way and wished all the best for GMR and his cute dakini.

And anyway, ugly Sanskrit is cool as long as it is Sanskrit (even though
the The Maha-Vairocana-Abhisambodhi Tantra probably disagrees).

"Ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils perdent,
Tous ces fichus calotins,
Sans le latin, sans le latin,
La messe nous emmerde.