[Buddha-l] no one ever gets rid of all their neuroses

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 13 15:25:46 MST 2006

Bruce et al.,

Bruce, I want to thank you for that no-punches-pulled post. (Naturally,
because I feel in full agreement with what you write. I should thank
you even if I violently disagreed with you, but I doubt I'd be up to
it.)

No time to seriously explore this issue of involvement in life versus
withdrawal from life, right now, but I do want to make two comments.
First, thinkers on issues of Buddhism and psychology are divided
between calling for freedom *from* emotions and freedom *in* emotions.
On this subject, folks like Jeff Rubin, Joseph Bobrow, Mark Finn hang
with the *in* group (as do Bruce and I in these posts). It's an ongoing
debate in the tradition and among psychologists. Indeed, it roughly
echoes the debate between early Buddhism and Mahayana, but we see it in
Mahayana itself. Which leads me to the second comment, one not from me
but from Teacher Yunmen:

         Tiantong said, "If you haven't understood, you get involved in
everything
         around you."

         Teacher Yunmen countered, "If you *have* understood, you get
involved
         in everything around you!"

           "Pilgrimage Record" 284

Franz Metcalf