[Buddha-l] Moralistic Therapeutic Buddhism?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Jan 25 14:14:43 MST 2006

I'm shocked, shocked to learn that adolescent members of the <fill in
the blank> Religion have, at best, a rudimentary understanding of the
teachings of their own Religion. What is this this world coming to?

The article does make for some interesting reading. For instance there
is this (unintentional) gem:

"The kind of responses found among many teenagers indicates a vast
emptiness at the heart of their understanding."

Holy crap - these kids are Mahayana Buddhists and don't even know it
(that's the best kind)!

Other horrifying findings in the article:

Christian teenagers know a lot about "their favorite musicians and
television stars" but "are not very clear on who Moses and Jesus were"
(Didn't they open for Black Sabbath back in the 70's?)

Most Christian teenagers have rarely if ever "discussed a theological
issue with an adult".

Christian teenagers are "heavily influenced by the ideology of
individualism."

Many Christian teenagers "go so far as to suggest that there are no
'right' answers in matters of doctrine and theological conviction."

Clearly we are living in the Endtime, brothers and sisters. Let us pray.

- Curt