[Buddha-l] diacritics for verse (or rather, usage)

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Jul 26 12:14:43 MDT 2006

In Korean Buddhism there is a mantra that is sometimes called "the extra
mantra" - it goes like this:

om ho-ro ho-ro saya mot-kye sabaha

Its name is "bo gwol jin on". I don't know what "bo gwol" means, but
"jin on" is the Korean Buddhist term for mantra, it literally means
something like "true" (jin) "words" (on).

The Korean Zen Master Seung Sahn told his western students that this
mantra is "the extra extra" - his explanation was that it is "like the
extra button sewed into a shirt - just in case." I can't verify how
closely this fits with its traditionally understood meaning in Korea.

This particular mantra is used in a long chant that consists of first
honoring/"invoking" the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha, then chanting "Kwan
Seum Bosal" 108 times, then chanting a series of mantras and one dharani
3 times each (each mantra or dharani is preceded by its name or title -
that's how you can tell one of them is a dharani - because Koreans call
a dharani a "da-ra-ni"). The "extra" mantra is the next to last one
(fittingly) - it's supposed to make up for any mistakes made while doing
the rest of the chant. Then a mantra for "sharing merit" comes last.

The above "Koreanized" mantra appears (to my untrained eye) to be
unrelated to the Sanskrit mantra in question. But according to Alex's
explanation they have a very similar function.

- Curt