[Buddha-l] Metteyya

Ngawang Dorje rahula_80 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 19:05:26 MDT 2006

Hi,

  "And Ananda, holding back his tears, said to the Buddha: 'Who will teach us when you are gone?' And the Blessed One answered: 'I am not the first Buddha who has come upon the Earth, nor shall I be the last. In the right time, another Buddha will arise in the world, a Holy One, a Supremely Enlightened One, endowed with wisdom in conduct, auspicious, Knowing the Truth, an incomparable leader of men, a Master of Spirit and mortals. He will reveal to you these Eternal Truths. He will preach his Dharma, Glorious in its Origin, Glorious in the Middle, and Glorious in its end, in the Spirit as well as the letter. He will proclaim a life of Dharma, wholly Perfect and Pure, even as I now proclaim.' Ananda said: 'How shall we know him?' And the Buddha said: 'He will be known as Maitreya which means, the friend.'"

  I have read that this dialogue was Paul Carus' invention. However, the reference for this dialogue was given Mahaparinirvana Sutra Chapter V, Verses 1-14.

  However, I could not find it mentioned in Chapter 5 of Kosho Yamamoto's english translation of the Mahaparinirvana Sutra?

  Have I misserd out or have I been looking in the wrong place? Or perhaps the text indeed is an invention of Carus?

  Thanks,
  Rahula