[Buddha-l] Seduction of a holy man

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Mar 1 12:36:37 MST 2006

I'm pretty sure that the dogs are meant to represent "discursive
thoughts". The "hunter" (the intellect) has gone out in search of truth
"out there" and, having caught a glimpse of it, has been transformed
into the hunted. Looked at this way it may appear to be a description of
a descent into madness - but this is no ordinary madness - it is,
according to Ficino, anyway, Divine Frenzy.

 From a Buddhist point of view it can be seen as the extinguishing
(dismemberment and consumption) of the discursive mind upon some kind of
"kensho" experience. After all, I believe that the literal meaning of
"kensho" is "seeing nature". Acteon has, in fact, "seen" the very
Goddess of "nature" Herself (Diana) - and is destroyed/transformed by
that experience.

- Curt