[Buddha-l] Monk/nun or lay person

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Mar 2 09:25:37 MST 2006

Sure, why not?
There are famous monks who agree to this idea: Buddhadasa, Ajahn Cha, Thich
Nhat Hanh. Buddhadasa: Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree; Ajahn Cha: anything he
wrote that got translated, although I think he still figured that monk life
was more conducive than lay life. But Ajahn Cha warned against taking
Nibbana as a goal, as something you aim for--so did the others as I recall.
Nhat Hanh: everything he wrote where the issue comes up.
Joanna K.
I tend to believe that anyone may attend Nibbana here and now. Lay persons
doing everyday's work are just as capable of Nibbana as any monk or nun. My
argument is that the method described in Mahasatipattana Sutta is a direct
way to Nibbana and may very well be used by anyone and in any situation and
for the disiplined mind every hour of the day. It may be it is easier for a
monk or nun to disipline the mind but nobody needs to become a monk or nun
in order to have a dispilined mind. The same goes for the ethical dimension
of Buddhist practise.

Would this be wrong thinking?

Best wishes from Knut in Norway

Knut Heidelberg