[Buddha-l] Buddhist salvation

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 7 04:21:57 MST 2006

jkirk schreef:

> What about Amitabha and Maitreya? do they qualify as salvific?
> Actually, aren't most of the deities in Mahayana Buddhism salvific
> one way or the other, in the sense that devotion to them, observing
> the practices associated with them, ensures either eventual
> enlightenment or transition to the pure land?
> Joanna

No, there are also protectors, like Mahaakaala/ii, Garuda, most of the Tara's, Bhaisajaguru, etc. Their rituals are clearly made for overcoming problems and hindrances. I have the impression that tantradeities, like Kaalacakra, Cakrasamvaara etc. have both functions. Besides that there are local deities in Tibetan  Boeddhism, which have to be honoured but are not enlightened at all.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950