[Buddha-l] religious pluralism in Asia

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 11 11:47:19 MST 2006

Gang,

Dan Lusthaus wrote,

> And [the Jesuits] probably thought the Japanese were agents of
> Satan, preventing the salvation of countless souls, obviously
> evil for rejecting such enlightened frocked gun-runners as
> themselves.

I know you were having fun when you wrote this, Dan, but it reminded me
of something I've been telling students in earnest and have always had
nagging doubts about. It's the old saw that when the Jesuits learned of
Pure Land Buddhism they lamented that that damned Lutheran heresy had
somehow reached Japan before they had. Folks love this story, perhaps
too much for it to be veridical (despite the really obvious parallels
between Pure Land and Lutheran soteriology). I was wondering if you or
anyone on the list had a locus classicus for this story--or evidence
that it's another Hakuin-and-the-girl narrative.

Cheers,

Franz Metcalf